It refers to chemical identification of a particular enzyme or protein in bodily fluid samples like blood or urine. It is concerned with analysis of bodily fluids for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. The biochemical profile includes a range of tests that measures the constituents of the plasma or serum component of the blood. The large array of biochemical tests can be further sub –categorized into
- Routine chemistry- e.g liver and kidney function tests, electrolytes, etc.
- Special chemistry- electrophoresis
- Endocrinology- study of hormones
- Toxicology- study of drugs of abuse
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- Urinalysis- chemical analysis of urine along with other fluids such as CSF and effusion
- Stool Analysis for detection of gastrointestinal diseases.